The colonial temples of Ayacucho are one of the very important monumental, architectural and religious groups of the colonial period in America . Each of these temples have peculiarities that make different from each other. Acts mainly in stone and mortar and vaulted ceilings run structure shown religiosity and style of the city.The facades are generally Baroque style. The interiors are decorated with religious motifs made in gold leaf, indoors altars as an offering to a saint in particular, it shows a real ayacuchana school retablos. Many travelers come to visit these temples especially at the time of Easter .
Temple of Santa Teresa, 1703
This is in the sixth block of Jiron July 28. The founder and benefactor who made possible the construction of the nunnery was the RP Francisco de la Maza, of the Society of Jesus in 1683 and his death in 1688, succeeded by his brother RP Fray Nicholas, who in 1703 shares the patronage with bishop Diego Ladrón de Guevara to complete the work that was consecrated the temple. Baroque at the main entrance we can see two symmetrical towers and magnificent runs strokes. The cross is also seen inside the red shield denoting the death of Christ on the cross. Stylistic affiliation of the facade is of Herreriano style. Symmetry and simplicity distinguish the façade, headed north, in the upper part there is a niche with the image of Santa Teresa de Jesus. Noteworthy is the beautiful lattice of the choir, fine Mudejar work in gilded wood and inlaid with ivory and conchaperla, whose crowning the shield noble family of La Maza is preserved; as well as the wooden pulpit carved in high relief, all gilded in gold. The altar is Churrigueresque, beautiful sample size and gold profuse valuable, whose main image is the Virgen del Carmen. In the main tent is located the Virgen del Carmen, also in the side sections four niches in which the image of the sorrowful Virgin and other saints are placed are located. As the pulpit is colored walnut and gold plated, regular size, with woodcuts. The 1719 earthquake damaged this religious complex especially the cloister of the novitiate and the end wall of the temple. The 1924 to mark the centenary of The following restorative processes occurred Battle of Ayacucho and 1982.
On Palm Sunday in Easter , this temple in procession the Palm Lord sitting on a white burrito.
Next to this temple is the Convent of the Discalced Carmelite Mothers, which among others produce sweet mix for retail. With RSNº 2900-72-ED, dated December 28, 1972, it has been declared a Cultural Heritage Monument member of the Nation.